To be able to apply for a Summer University you need to be a member of an AEGEE local. For example, if you study in Aachen, your local would be AEGEE-Aachen. You can find the list of locals on the aegee.org website. If there's not a local in your city, you can try to contact a local near your city. The procedure to become a member of a local varies from city to city, please find the contact details in the link below and ask your local.
Get a user account
Once you are member of an AEGEE local, you are an AEGEE member with all rights, therefore you can have an AEGEE-Europe Intranet Account.
Please additionally make an AEGEE-Europe Online Membership System (OMS) account as the intranet will be phased out in the near future and thus be replaced by the OMS system.
Please, make sure you take extra care in filling out this form, as errors may affect your selection for a SU.
Notes regarding the sign up forms:
- Antenna is your AEGEE local (AEGEE-Aachen in our example).
- The Card Number field can be left empty. Some years ago, all AEGEE members needed a plastic card with a number to be a member, that's not necessary anymore.
- Once you have completed the form and clicked on "Sign Up", an email will be sent to you to confirm your email address. Once you confirm your email address, your local will receive an email informing that you have signed up in the AEGEE-Europe Intranet.
- Your local will have to validate your Intranet account (this can take some hours or a few days depending on the load of work of your local). Don't leave things for the last minute!
- If problems with sign-up or login persist, please consult our support page.
- Once you have been accepted by your local, you will receive an email with your username and password.
- Now you have an Intranet account and can apply for a SU!
Application form & procedure
The official website of the Summer University Project is www.aegee.org/su. Go there and log in with your AEGEE-Europe Intranet account. Then click on "Fill in Application Form" under "Applicants".
In the first step you'll review your personal data from your Intranet account. If something is not correct, please change it. Here also you'll have to write your previous AEGEE experience (if any) and describe how would be your ideal Summer University.
As of Summer University 2019, you can only choose one Summer University to apply to. As the preselection algorithm is abolished, you may no longer choose up to three Summer Universities in order of preference.
In the second step you'll have to write a different motivation letter for each of the SUs you chose in the previous step. Some organisers also ask extra questions apart from the motivation letter. This will be the main factor to be chosen in a Summer University, therefore be creative! Always remember that it's also a student like you who is going to read your letter. Don't be too formal. Here are some hints for you:
- Explain why you want to go to this SU.
- What do you like in the program of this SU?
- Have you already been to this city?
- What do you expect from this SU?
- Have you ever participated in another voluntary project similar (or not) to this SU?
- Why should I be chosen over other applicants?
In the last step you'll view a summary of your application. You can edit it at any time by clicking in "Fill in Application Form" in the top menu.
You can apply from 18th of March 13:00 until 15th of April 13:00. During this period you can create a new application, edit your existing application or delete your application. After this date you'll no longer be able to edit your application. Please notice that some locals have their own application deadline before the official deadline. Consult your local about this.
Possible application status:
- There's not any application from you.
- Your application is incomplete.
- Application completed (only in this case does your application proceed to the next step).
Published from 22nd of April 13:00 until 29th of April 13:00. By this date you'll know if you have been accepted in the Summer University where you applied to. If you have been accepted in a SU, then all communication as from that moment will be directly with the organisers of the SU. If you have not been selected in any Summer University, you can still apply for Open Calls (free places). Keep reading.
Possible application status the day when the selection results are published:
Possible application status during the summer:
- Attended. You have successfully attended the SU where you were accepted.
- Cancelled. You were accepted in the SU but you cancelled voluntarily.
- Didn't show up. You were accepted in the SU but then you didn't show up in the SU. Penalization may be applied next year.
- Applied for an open call. You were not accepted in a SU or cancelled voluntarily where you were accepted or in waiting list and then applied for an open call.
Open Calls are issued after the Selection Results are published to allow SUs with where all the available participant places are not filled in.
If there are free places left (e.g. people cancelled) or because there were not enough applicants, the organisers issue an Open Call. They are issued during the whole course of the summer, so be aware and check this website often!
To apply for an Open Call you can neither be accepted nor on the waiting list of another SU. If you are and want to apply for an Open Call, you first have to give up your place.
After the Selection Results are published, you will find a list of Open Calls on this page. The application procedure is the same as the regular application, but without deadlines (as they wouldn't make sense). Organisers will get in touch with you as soon as possible to tell you if you are accepted or not.
Possible application statuses for Open Calls:
- Accepted. You got accepted! Book you flight ASAP and enjoy the #summerofyourlife!
- Not accepted. Sorry, not this time but keep trying!
Didn’t you have time to apply until 25th of April or you are just brand new member of AEGEE? Then Open Calls are awesome opportunity for you to attend Summer University! Just create an application and motivation letter and try it!
After you have successfully attended a SU, you can and should evaluate it! The evaluation will be opened after the last day of your Summer University.
- Attended. Only participants with status attended will be able to fill in the evaluation form.